New Home Buyer Checklist
Download this helpful checklist to find first-time home buyer tips
Buying a home for the first time is exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. You'll probably find dozens of homes for sale in your price range and desired neighborhood, so you're going to want to set criteria to help you narrow your search. First-time home buyers in particular have a lot to keep track of, but even the most seasoned homeowner can still take advantage of tools to make house hunting a smooth process.
Charter One can help make your first home-buying experience easier with our home buyer checklist. Before you start touring houses, use this guide to pinpoint the features that are likely to meet your needs.
Consider some of these bigger questions as a new home buyer
- Does it have enough space for my family?
- Even if it's just the two of you for now, having an extra bedroom might be a good idea. Is a big backyard important to you? How about a finished basement or ample closet space?
- Make a list of space-related priorities you should look for in each home you see.
- Is it a safe neighborhood?
- Take a look at the houses around the home you're touring. Are they well taken care of? Is there a neighborhood watch program? Are the streets well lit at night?
- Driving through the neighborhood at different times of day can help you get the best sense of your comfort level in the area.
- How close are schools and grocery stores?
- Is it a 20-minute drive to the grocery store? Could your kids walk to school? Is there any public transportation?
- Make a note of which amenities and conveniences are most important.
- What is the school district like?
- Look up the district's report card, ask the neighbors what the schools are like, or see if you can meet with the principal or a teacher in the local school before you decide on a house.
- You may also want to look at local magazines or newspapers, which sometimes do annual school ratings.
Download the home buyer checklist
We know buying a new home comes with a lot of questions, and that's why we're here to help. Let us use our experience to help make the process easier for you. Print out copies of our Home Buyer Checklist, and take them with you as you visit different homes and neighborhoods. Don't forget to also take plenty of pictures of each house so you can reference those later. Once you're done looking at houses, you'll be able to compare what you thought of each one by looking back at your notes on the checklist.
When you've finished your search and it's time to start the application process for a mortgage, you can do so with Charter One. We understand being a first-time home buyer can be overwhelming, so our home loan advisors are here to guide you through every step of the mortgage process. Talk to a home loan advisor today at 1-888-514-2300, or start the mortgage application process online and a home loan advisor will contact you.